Thursday 19 November 2015

GLUTEN-FREE CRUNCHY WATER COOKIES


Most of the vegan and gluten-free cookies recipes I find around the “blogsphere” contain oats, which is good, they are super nutrition and high in protein, but they are not always easy to find. In Italy, for example, it is almost impossible.

When a girl goes away on holiday, she usually buys whatever but food.
But because I am not a ordinary girl, guess what I usually buy? Yes you guessed right. Just food. On the way back to my recent trip to Copenhagen, my luggage was full of freshly baked gluten-free bread and one and a half kilos of oats.
I was even tempted to bring with me a small kale, to plant it on my terrace-garden, but because I was not sure if I was allowed to bring it with me on the plane, I had sadly to give it up.


All that to say that the vegan and gluten-free cookies recipe I’m going to share with you today is made only with whole grain flours, that are easy to find everywhere. And...they are made with water instead of nut-milk! I used water for the first time when I was making other cookies and I realized that I had no nut-milk left in the fridge and I couldn't be bothered to make my own again (I generally don't but it, but I make it). They turned out perfect, even crunchier than the version with nut-milk. 

I have never loved Autumn because it is usually a cold and rainy season in Italy, but this year it’s warm and sunny. I’m loving it.
To me, Autumn means chestnuts, but because it takes so long to boil and peel them, I prefer to use the flour made out of them, which keeps the sweet and nutty flavor anyway–when you by it, store it in the fridge in an air-tight container after opening, because it becomes rancid pretty easily-.
I am sure you will love these cookies, they are super-easy to make -only 15 minutes!- and the combination of chestnuts and toasted hazelnuts is to die for. 



Why should we add some proteins and fibers to your cookies?

First of all, let me clarify what I mean for “proteins” and “fibers”.
For proteins, I mean any flour made out of legumes (chickpeas flour is the most common) or nuts and seeds.
And for fibers, I mean any whole grains reduced in flours, chestnut flour or chickpeas flour (rich in fibers, not only proteins).

Why is that good? To control your blood sugar levels after eating them.
It might not sound that exciting for most of you, but let me try to explain how it works.
To make it simple: if you eat a cookie made with white flour and white sugar, it is more likely that your blood sugar levels rise incredibly high immediately after you eat it, and you feel great and with lots of energies. This is because all the sugar –glucose- contained in white sugar and white flours are immediately digested and absorbed into the bloodstream. BUT, after two or three hours, you blood sugar levels drop so low that you may experience fatigue, tiredness, nervousness and cravings for sugar. Does it sound familiar?

Well, if you eat a cookie made with whole grain flours and some nuts, as well as coconut sugar instead of white sugar, you won’t experience that roller-coaster effect. Why? Because both fibers and proteins slow down digestion and sugars are absorbed more slowly. This means that you won’t have any up and down neither in your blood sugar levels, nor in your mood!




Crunchy water cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup (100 gr) coconut sugar
3/4 cup (100 gr) buckwheat flour
3/4 cup (100 gr) brown rice flour
3/4 cup (50 gr) chestnut flour
1 pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup (80 gr) coconut oil
1/3 cup (80 gr) water
1/3 cup (50 gr) toasted hazelnuts*

Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and line a baking tray with paper parchment.
- Pour all the dry ingredients (flours and salt) in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. When it is melted, add the water and stir to combine.
- Add coconut oil and water to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine with a fork. You’ll get crumbles. Work it with your hand to incorporate all the flour and make a ball.
- Crush the hazelnuts with a mortar and pestle or with a knife. Add them to the dough and work the dough again with your hand to incorporate the hazelnuts.
- Scoop a tablespoon of dough and make a ball, place it on the tray, then flatten it with your hands. Do that until you finish the dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let them cool down slightly and place them on rack to avoid any humidity to form underneath.
- Store in a air-tight container for up to a week.

Notes: 
- You can substitute chestnut flour with chickpeas flour.
- How to toast hazelnuts? Place raw hazelnuts on a tray and bake them at 320 °F / 160°C, starting with cold oven, for 20 minutes. Rub the toasted hazelnut between your hands to take off the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment